Skip to main content

Why I Am The Most Important Person In My Life by Abby Piskel

I will admit that a lot of the time, I am the type of person that will put everyone else and their needs above my own. I get a sense of fulfillment from helping someone else, it makes me feel good. By doing this, I tend to dismiss myself and anything that I might need. I can give you all the advice that you want, but when it comes to it, I can never take my own. And I know that I'm not alone in that.

At some point in our lives, we need to understand that we are the ones that we need to depend on. When it's 3 a.m. and you're laying in your bed with a head full of thoughts that terrify you, you're the only one that can make it stop. You're the one that has the power to change your life for the better and make it what you want to be.


People will come and go in and out of our lives, and that's just how the world works. Sometimes the people that we think will be there for us in the long haul really aren't, and that's okay but that doesn't mean we should give up hope. It's okay to realize that you are the only one that you can count on to be there for you 100 percent of the time. You never leave you even if you let yourself down sometimes.


Snow White said that you are the only one who can fill the world with sunshine, and she is so right. Everyday I wake up and I decide how my day is going to go. And let's be honest, half of the time I don't have it together, but that's okay because eventually I know that I will pick myself back up and start going in the direction that I want to go. I'm the person that decides what I'm going to wear, how I'm going to do my makeup and my hair. I'm the person that decides on what I want to eat and how much I want to exercise. No one else can make those decisions for me, I love that.


There is nothing wrong with being independent. I know that I will always have family and friends to support me in anything that I do, but ultimately, I have to please myself before I can please anyone else. I have to be okay with my decisions that I make because they help shape me into the person that I am. If I can't help myself, how can I ever expect to help anyone else? And let's be honest, it's okay to be selfish every now and again. It's okay to take time for yourself and be the independent person that you need to be. No one should ever think any differently.


I know who I am and who I want to be. I have to make myself happy before anyone else can. I will always be there for me even if it does feel like my world is falling apart. I'm okay with being alone and taking the time to do what makes me happy because it's my life and I only get one shot at it. Sure, I'll help anyone out whenever I can, but I will always be my own biggest fan.

Source : 

Comments